Tucson Festival of Books Celebrates Young Authors and Artists!
by Johanna Eubank Arizona Daily Star / March 1, 2021
Young authors and artists were honored during the virtual 2021 Tucson Festival of Books on March 6. Here is a link to watch the ceremony on replay!
Here are the talented young people being honored:
YOUNG ARTIST WINNERS
Altrusa International of Tucson Inc., a nonprofit volunteer organization whose activities focus on literacy, leadership development and fellowship, sponsored the Young Authors Competition. Young Author winners will receive $100 in gift certificates, a $50 gift certificate to U of A Bookstore as well as a gift bag with a writing journal, pens and bookmarks provided by Altrusa, and a $50 gift certificate to Bookmans, provided by Bookmans.
YOUNG AUTHORS WINNERS FOR STORIES
- Grades pre-K thru second: Parker Paszko, a kindergartner at the Beginning School, for “The Snowman and Sandy;” Lily Polk, a home-schooled kindergartner, for “The Christmas Cactus;” and Atticus Sharp, a home-schooled first-grader, for “The Rock Buddies’ Ocean Adventure.”
- Grades third through fifth: Ashley Briggs, fifth-grader at Khalsa Montessori, for “Kingsley;” Rita Cai, fourth-grader at Basis Tucson Primary, for “Rouge’s Adventure;” Isabella Estrada, fifth-grader at Gallego Intermediate, for “The Nickel of Luck;” Elise Martinez, fourth-grader at Khalsa Montessori, for “The Christmas Elf;” and Veronica Ragsdale, fourth-grader at Micheltorena, for “Honey Voices.”
- Grades sixth through eighth: Ella Larsen, eighth-grader at Dove Mountain CSTEM, for “Caution Tapes;” and Chaemin Lee, seventh-grader at Basis Oro Valley, for “Eloy — A Robin’s Story.”
- High school: Matthew Kim, 10th-grader at Basis Oro Valley, for “Purgatory;” Jude Poitier, ninth-grader at Basis Tucson North, for “Daisy;” Marie Poitier, 11th-grader at University High, for “Empathy;” and Brianna Schmidt, 12th-grader at MDLP, for “Falling With You.”
YOUNG AUTHOR WINNERS FOR POETRY
- Grades pre-K through second: Freeda Dahl, a home-schooled pre-kindergartener, for “Freeda’s Poem;” Irie Dahl, a home-schooled first-grader, for “When the Virus is Over;” and Zahra Ratiyath, second-grader at Basis Oro Valley, for “The Desert is Watching Me.”
- Grades third through fifth: Eleanor Farrell-Wortman, fourth-grader at Lineweaver Elementary, for “The Queen of Britain’s Cute Corgies;” Madilyn Lesniak, fourth-grader at Lineweaver Elementary, for “The 4th of July Wars;” and Ryleigh Williams, fourth-grader at Leman Academy of Excellence Oro Valley, for “Night.”
- Grades sixth through eighth: Lindsay Gaines, eighth-grader at Emily Gray Jr. High., for “The World From the View of a Shoe;” Maximo Jimenez, seventh-grader at McCorkle Academy of Excellence, for “My Lonely Junk Drawer;” and Jennica Lugo, eighth-grader at Roskruge Bilingual K-8, for “My Many Grandmothers and Me.”
- High School: Minju Kim, ninth-grader at Basis Oro Valley, for “Ding! And Woman;” Lucianna Ochoa, 12th-grader at Walden Grove High School, for “Women are Enough;” and Ariel Salcido, 12th-grader at Desert View High School, for “Where I’m From.”
YOUNG ARTIST WINNERS
The Young Artists competition is sponsored by Friends of Western Art. Winners will each receive a $100 gift certificate to Sarnoff Artist Materials, a copy of the poster made from the art and a copy of the book with the art, The Pandemic award winner will receive a $50 gift certificate to Sarnoff Artist Materials.
The winners are:
•Pandemic Award: Ava Grace Erlacher, kindergartner at Canyon View Elementary
•Agua Caliente Elementary: Sixth-grader Alexis Monique Harris
•Basis Oro Valley: Seventh-graders Ranjit Nair and Aleena Rafiyath
•Basis Tucson Primary School: Fourth-grader Sophia Bradley
•Civano Community School: Sixth-grader Anna Taylor; seventh-graders Tatum Gratrix, S. Noelani Inovejas and Maelina Ruiz; and eighth-graders Sofia Bishop, Daniela Bruner, Dexter Mitchell, Hailey Ogg and Mia Urias
•Esperero Canyon Middle School: Sixth-grader Sophie Hannley
•Gallego Intermediate: Fourth-grader Metztli Medina
•K12 Private Online Academy: First-grader Julian Gutierrez
•Mansfeld Middle School: Eighth-grader Lauren Anderson
•Pusch Ridge Christian Academy: Sixth-grader Josephine Burnside
•Tanque Verde Elementary: Second-grader Avery Crawford; and third-graders Jaxson Dehler, Joshua Lyman and Adelaide Whittier
•Tanque Verde High School: Sophomore Brett Lewis
•Ventana Vista Elementary: Second-grader Jasper Torrance