Disability Related Access
Festival Staff / April 1, 2016
Disability Related Access
- Accessible restrooms are located in buildings open for the event. An All Gender/family accessible restroom is located in the Main Library, 1st floor near the elevator.
- Directional signage has been added to assist in locating accessible routes and presentation queues.
- There will be accessible queues, that don’t involve stairs, formed at the entries of the major presentations. Please proceed directly to the venue entry if you are unable use the general cue or if you have prearranged other disability accommodations for the presentation.
- Seating will be provided outside popular venues to accommodate those unable to stand in lines.
- Accessible seating locations inside the venues can accommodate up to two companions in order to ensure accessible seating for other disabled guests.
- If you have questions before the Festival concerning access or wish to request accommodations please contact the Disability Resource Center at (520) 621-3268 or DRCfirstname.lastname@example.org
- Day of Festival concerns/questions, please contact 488-3593 or email@example.com
- All garages have accessible parking. See the general event parking map for options. Cat Tran Shuttles are wheelchair accessible.
- Accessible parking is also available closer to the Festival in surface lots as shown on this map
- Note that:
- Location and number of accessible parking spaces is designated on the RED circles. Most of these spaces are in small surface lots and will be available except for those otherwise marked on the general Festival parking map.
- UA disabled parking permit is NOT required on the weekends.
- The 2nd Street Garage is reserved for authors.
- The Cherry Avenue Garage is closest to the Festival but accessible shuttles will also be available from the Park Avenue, Highland, and 6th Street Garages.
- If you need further information on parking options due to your particular circumstance or need information regarding places to drop off individuals, please contact the Disability Resource Center at (520)621-3268 or DRCfirstname.lastname@example.org. Note that our Center is not open on weekends.
Requesting a Sign Language Interpreter or CART
- To insure the availability of a Sign Language interpreter or CART, please submit your request or contact Catherine at (520) 626-4471 before the Festival. http://drc.arizona.edu/about/request-interpreter
- A Sign Language interpreter will be available on a limited basis on-site throughout the Festival. Please inquire at any TFOB information booth.
Requesting and Obtaining Receivers for Assistive Listening Systems (ALS)
- We highly recommend that guests pre-arrange to pick up a receiver onsite to use for the day at multiple locations. To do so, email DRCemail@example.com or call (520) 621-3268 and note the date, time and location. Otherwise, to request at a particular venue, look for ALS signage at the door. Request your receiver from the designated Author Event Monitor and return it after use. Receivers will be available at Festival presentation locations noted below:* All Student Union venues * Modern Languages 350 * Chemistry 111* Koffler 204, 216 & 218* Science and Engineering Classroom 200* All Integrated Learning Center venues* Education Kiva & Education 353; smaller rooms on request* Flandrau Planetarium Theatre is equipped with a hearing loop and will be running shows
- Some of the above venues are large and will have queues to enter. To better facilitate obtaining your receiver and finding seating, please use the accessible queue or go directly to the venue entry.
- Portable ALS units are available for any locations not listed above, Mall Tent venues, and Science City tour locations. Requests can be made for these units prior to the Tucson Festival of Books by emailing DRCfirstname.lastname@example.org or calling (520) 621-3268 and noting date, time and location. NOTE: During Festival dates, portable ALS can only be requested by contacting 488-3593 or email@example.com
Onsite Mobility Scooter and Wheelchair Rental will be available in front of the Student Union (location TBA).
- For information, to reserve a rental and arrange onsite pick up, please call Metro Med (520)323-9500.