Festival Staff / May 17, 2017
Submissions to the sixth annual Tucson Festival of Books Literary Awards Writing Competition are being accepted through October 31, 2017. Entries are accepted in three categories: fiction, nonfiction, and poetry. Winners will be honored at the 2018 Tucson Festival of Books on Saturday, March 10 and Sunday, March 11.
First-place winners in each category will receive $1,000. Second-place winners receive $500, and third-place winners $250. All winners will be awarded scholarships (a $300 value) to the 2018 Tucson Festival of Books Masters Writing Workshop, on both Monday, March 12 and Tuesday, March 13. The top 50 entrants will be invited to attend the workshop ($300).
• Submit five poems of any length, a short story or novel chapter, or a nonfiction piece or book chapter per submission.
• Maximum length for prose is 5,000 words per submission.
• Label each submission’s genre with the title: fiction, nonfiction, poetry.
• $20 entry fee per submission
• No limit to number of entries ($20 fee per entry)
• Categories NOT accepted: stories for children or young adults, academic or how-to nonfiction.
• Double space prose submissions.
• Submit poems in a single document with appropriate page breaks (up to five poems per submission).
• Submissions must be in English and unpublished (self-published allowed).
• Writers must be age 18 or older.
• The author’s name must not appear anywhere on the manuscript. Include name and contact information in the “Cover Letter” box. Manuscripts with the author's name anywhere on them will be disqualified.
• Authors retain all rights to submitted work.
• Winning entries may be published in an anthology of winners.
• Deadline: October 31, 2017
• Winners and the top 50 will be notified by December 22, 2017.
• First-, second-, and third-place winners in each category receive scholarships to the Masters Workshop, March 12-13, 2018. The top 50 finalists will be invited to attend the Masters Workshop ($300 fee).
To submit an entry, click here.
Submission Deadline: 5pm Mountain Standard Time on Tuesday, October 31, 2017.
For information on the literary awards and the writing workshop, contact Meg Files at Masters@TucsonFestivalofBooks.org